stats & things
January 18, 2012 by Polyporus badius
- The death of a 70 year old tree returns over 3 tons of carbon to the atmosphere...
- Trees are the longest living organisms on earth.
- The average metropolitan tree survives about 8 years.
- Takes about ten years for a tree to even start productively storing carbon.
- Trees keep our air supply fresh by absorbing carbon dioxide and producing oxygen.
- Moon trees were grown from seeds taken to the moon by Stuart Roosa, Command Module pilot of the Apollo 14 mission of January 31, 1971. The effort included 400-500 seeds, which orbited the moon on the first few days of February 1971. NASA and the USFS wanted to see if being in space and in the moon's orbit would cause the seeds to grow differently than other seeds.
- 1 million seeds, the amount a mature birch tree has been known to bare in one year.
more random facts:
- telephone poles are trees
- maple syrup comes from trees within a healthy forest.
- telephone poles are not maple trees
- Jerry Garcia sustained his health and his energy levels drinking maple infused Jun elixers.
- Song birds trigger tree lenticels to function (slits in the bark of trees that allow gas exchange)
- Shamans preserve black bear's gall bladders in maple syrup
- long chain polysaccharides molecules in maple syrup are found to be naturally occurring in two other places: Ganoderma species (Reishi fungi) and breast milk
- ectomycorrhizae: capri-sun's latest flavor....justkiddin withya:) its a type of fungi that without most forests especially those growing on depleted soils could not survive without.the fungi forms a symbiotic relationship with tree roots by forming a sheath around the root-tips and forming a Hartig net; a complex network of fungal hyphae that is the site of nutrient exchange between the fungus and the trees.
Comment by Andrea Jerome
June 15, 2012 at 01:04 PM
Nice quotes dude.